![]() |
| 💛💓💚💙 |
I didn't venture much out of urban Tokyo so there was no better way to see the colours than visit some of its many many gardens and parks. The gardens were curated and the parks were happening so both types of green areas were nice in their own way. Looking through my photos, I was reminded once again how great the weather was throughout my week there! The bright blue skies over really accentuated what were essentially plant photos from over a few days haha.
Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens (31 Oct)
There really were many gardens in Tokyo so I had to be selective. This was one of the obvious choices to visit because it's one of the oldest traditional Japanese gardens in Tokyo and also coz I was sold on the vibrantly coloured online photos. Unfortunately, it was still very green when I visited on the last day of Oct. I knew immediately that I was too early for its autumn show. But ok, that's not the garden's fault haha.
![]() |
| The ducks seemed to prefer chilling in the shade and that's the massive Tokyo Dome peeking out over the trees. |
![]() |
| Can almost imagine an ancient royal person sitting underneath that bonsai and reading a book. |
Even though I didn't get see the colours, I rather enjoyed the morning spent here. Will people understand when I say this is sort of a quintessential location for a solo trip? Maybe it's just my taste. None of my solos are anti-social in nature, but in this place it was perfect to be alone. Just a peaceful pocket in the busy city, suited for personal wandering and reflecting. Also, it probably helped that it was a Monday morning.
Koganei Park (2 Nov)
Strictly speaking, I was just passing through this park to visit the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum since I didn't have a lot of time to spare. However, this location is significant coz it was where I saw my first red maple leaves :D It was on my way out that I spotted a single, fiery red tree and totally zoomed over the grass to get to it.
![]() |
| Never thought I'd ever feel such excitement over a tree hahaha. And no idea why this tree, alone, decided to change colours earlier than all its peers. |
Over the next few days, I'd go on to amass a collection of colourful leaves, scavenged from the ground at various locations and tucked carefully between the printed documents in my folder xD
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden (3&4 Nov)
Due to timing issues, I actually visited twice over two days (and paid the 500 yen entry fee twice erps). Definitely wouldn't have done this if I hadn't found anything special on the first visit. To think that I intended to just make a "quick round" of the entire gardens within the hour-ish that I had haha.
![]() |
| These round, Japanese-style shrubs/bushes were very cute and looked like giant mochis. |
![]() |
| A little hard to see, but here's some ducks in the shade again, sitting on a low branch in the water. |
So the reason I made the effort and carved out the time to come back was because I found (what I thought was) maple again! This time, there were entire rows of coloured trees and the leaves were HUGE. So very different from the lone tree at Koganei Park. It's a good thing I entered from the Okido gate on my first visit, coz it was close enough for me to stumble into the sunlit avenue of trees where I ended up spending almost all my time and decided that it was a must to go back.
![]() |
| OMG A LARGE RED LEAF. |
So... those trees weren't actually maple hahaha. I only found out later, after re-examining the gardens brochure and checking with my good friend Google, that the trees were London Planes - a form of sycamore. As a layperson from a sunny island in SEA I wouldn't have been able to tell honestly. The leaves were maple-shaped and coloured, and that was all I needed xD Sorz to the people who received some fake news in my excitement over finding large coloured leaves haha.
![]() |
| I crunched up and down the avenue multiple times thinking "I've found Autumn" :D |
That London Plane avenue was truly a beautiful place. There were a couple of families there since it was a public holiday on one of those days and I witnessed a small girl tucking two of those huge yellow leaves into her pigtails. It was the cutest thing when she ran around and the leaves flapped like giant ears xD
So that was just one part of Shinjuku Gyoen haha. Even on my second visit I was on a tight schedule, so I had to fast march around to capture as much of the gardens as possible. It was definitely worth the visit since one fee essentially bought entry into a few themed zones with different views. There were the regal western gardens and more traditional Japanese ones where I found the red Japanese (small-leafed) maple once again.
![]() |
| It's not a Japanese garden without water bodies! |
![]() |
| And of course, I hoarded more fallen leaves and photos from the bright red trees in the Japanese garden. |
Imperial Palace East Gardens (5 Nov)
![]() |
| This used to be the site of the Edo Castle after all and the fortresses were well-preserved. |
![]() |
| Fortified hiding place for the emperor and his family which totally looked like a scary barrow with wights in it. |
Ahh, it's December. Maple trees in some parts of Japan are still in the midst of changing colour right now haha. Not sure how much more I can cover within this year, but I'll definitely still be reliving my Tokyo trip into 2023 xD
Part 5 I think will be another geographical one, covering a mix of things that I did on the same day I visited Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens. That was one packed day!
![]() |
| Ending off with the winner of the lock screen pageant, hailing from Shinjuku Gyoen! |


























No comments:
Post a Comment