Sunday, 10 August 2014

A National Day Away

Ytd in the office, I saw this link on FB titled "Dear Singapore, I Owe You an Apology"and read the article over lunch. It's a sweet and realistic (though definitely not exhaustive) take on life in SG, written by an expat who's about to leave, and took the time to reflect and remember.

In her account there are some obvious bits that show how expat life differs from the normal Singaporean's (whuttt is a Brazilian blow-out??), but she also speaks of things that we can immediately identify with. Hot? Kiasu? Multicultural? Singlish? Yep, definitely SG. Right now I'm a Singaporean away from home and trust me, I'm super proud of all those things above that we take for granted (and sometimes complain about) back home. It's our culture and life, and like I said before, it always feels damn good when I get to share about it to those who don't know but bother to ask. There's no other word for it, the feeling is pride, coz this is who we are.

[I dunno why, but it's delightful to compare our 5-hour long true thunderstorms to the max-strength 5-10 min showers here (which are their thunderstorms pffft lol). With ppl going "really?? :o" and stuff like that.]

So there's a nice warm feeling that comes from reading about how an ang moh warmed up to our sunny island - intensified now that I'm overseas. The feels~ Just in time for National Day too! I spent last night replaying the old national day songs we grew up with. The songs we sung in sch through the years are still awesome, and I still listen to them year after year.

Sounds like I'm getting homesick, but I still dun think I am actually. On top of the fun we've been having, I simply like to keep doing the things I've always liked doing. Case in point, if I were home at this point in time I'd be following 2 shows on local tv: Makan Places Lost & Found 5 (why am I doing this to myself) and 祖先保佑 (the current 9pm channel 8 drama - it's funny and meaningful!). The tv in pasir ris is something like 13 hours away, so catchup tv it is, and it's great that xinmsn is accessible here! In terms of communication, I still keep active on Whatsapp, most of my groups are still there and I have unlimited data anyway. Can't get enough of the usual kinky jokes from certain groups, and all the updates from life rolling on back home. Not forgetting the weekend Skypes, and laughing with my sis late into her night, just like normal. :)

Technology does wonders in breaking down boundaries, but at times, the distance couldn't be clearer. My friends have been going for Hari Raya visitations. Ytd, Singaporean kids would have dressed in red and left sch early. Here - all quiet and weird. Sure, the British culture really rubs off and brings frequent amusement. Every weekend we travel out into beautiful places - rolling landscapes and quaint British towns that SG will never have. But despite the wow-factors, I still view this land through the eyes of a visitor. There hasn't been any time where I squealed and said I'd love to live here (not yet). Maybe I haven't lived here long enough (a year is prob not enough anyway) for it to grow on me.

The point is that there is a significant bit of me in SG, or a bit of SG in me. Settling in doesn't mean forgetting, and adapting doesn't mean letting go. I know and have heard of many ppl who can't wait to emigrate, and they have their good reasons. Maybe one day I'll have to live in another country for a long time, I dunno, but as of now, I dun seem to myself like a person who won't want to return home.

Waiting for xinmsn to upload the NDP telecast, since we went out today and couldn't watch any live feed. Back to listening to the old songs for now. One United People is my most favourite national day song out of a list of favourites. Guess it's one of the underrated ones, but even though the lyrics are simple, they speak volumes.





"This is my homeland, it's where my strength is from."

 Happy 49th National Day, Singapore! I'll be home in time for your Golden Jubilee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment